Sunday, February 28, 2010

Amaryllis I

Amaryllis I is the first in a series I have been sketching for the last few months. Growing up in a Christmas 'obsessed home, I owuld see these forced bulbs blooming all over the house and was always astonished at the variety of colors, and the distinct presence the pots had in the warm, bright winter light streaming through the windows. I wanted to make the composition simple & focus on the sculptural qualities of the plants. I've been reading this great book on the historical journey of Vincent van Gogh's last portrait - Portrait of Dr. Gachet: The Story of a van Gogh Masterpiece by Cynthia Saltzman. It combines three of my favorite subjects: history, art, & van Gogh. This inspired me to be influenced by Vincent when approaching the canvas and palette. His simplicity of structure and his exploration of the internal energy of his subject was a perfect fit for what i was trying to convey. I wanted to avoid the traditional red/green Christmas color scheme, so I took a twist by modulating the tones and adding the sunshine in both direct lighting and the vivid yellow s of the table. the table itself becomes a light source, emphasizing the violet, orange, & blues I used to add heft and structure. You can click on any picture to see a larger version with detail. The weight of the table balances the huge deep red blooms and keeps it from falling over. I had a lot of fun withthis painitng, I hope you enjoy it. Leave a comment to let me know your thoughts.
Here is a peek at my palette as I was painting the final touches.
Amaryliss I (15" x 30" unframed) offered at $350 + shipping & packaging

No comments: