Monday, August 17, 2009

Lampasas River Girls

This is one I've been working on for sometime. I just couldn't make it work, these cows were odd. This breed is very angular and their heads are out of proportion so it makes them a challenge to paint. I've been using reference photos and site sketches to finish this up and I'm happy with where it is today. I believe it reflects the wide open spaces of Texas and the springtime blue of the sky. I wnated to capture something a photo would not, otherwise why paint it. It's really a painting about how it feels to have the Texas sun shining down on you while you stand in the cool grass and be free to go anywhere you want. I think I said what I wanted.
Detail #1
Like I said, their heads are so angular it makes them daunting subject. I liked how the sun bounced off their hide and how the cool of the grasses reflected underneath. I was able to try different combinations of colors to evoke the temperature and light and not get caught up in details.
Detail #2
In what is becomming a stylistic signiture for me, I have once again referenced Klimt in the rythm and repetition of both color & texture. It allows me some abstract expessionismwhile maintaining my subject. I really like this method as it gives just enough information and allows the mind to wander as well.
Let me know what you think.
Lampasas Girls 36"x48" oil on canvas, frameless 2" studio wrapped, available $2400.00 USD + shipping & delivery. Can be framed at your choice.

1 comment:

DreamWalker said...

I love it.
You are a great artist!!